These stats are interesting. I had no idea so many firearms were being discovered at airports.
Last year, 1813 firearms were discovered in carry-on bags at checkpoints across the country. That’s up 17% from the 1556 firearms found in 2012. We’re talking five guns intercepted every day. Of those, 81% are loaded.
Firearms were intercepted at 205 different airports. The leaders are all in the West:
- Atlanta – 111 Guns discovered
- Dallas-Fort Worth – 96 gGuns discovered
- Houston – 68 Guns discovered
- Phoenix – 66 Guns discovered
- Denver – 51 Guns discovered