Good piece on Politico by Gaspar Perricone, head of Bull Moose Sportsmen, an organization of hunters. He wrote in favor of universal background checks. Some points:
- A poll of their organization showed 72% support universal background checks, with exemptions for some sales between private individuals.
- 84% of their members oppose an assault weapons ban.
- “We believe background checks fall within an ethic of responsible gun ownership sportsmen have been living and teaching for generations.”
- “Aside from reasonable exceptions, like giving a gun to a family member or sharing a gun on a hunting trip, every person buying a gun in America should go through a background check. Private sellers and buyers can go to a gun dealer to process the checks and an online site to process checks should be explored.”
- “For all checks, licensed dealers should keep a record of the sale. This is merely an extension of the existing system that has been in place and has worked well for the last twenty years….Dealer record-keeping ensures checks are being done and aids law enforcement in tracking guns used in crimes.”
- “Felons, domestic abusers, and the seriously mentally ill should not have access to guns.”
- “Three out of four hunters we surveyed believe we can protect our Second Amendment rights while making it more difficult for criminals to get guns. A background check is the best method to prevent dangerous people from getting them, and a licensed dealer record is how we prosecute those that commit crimes with guns.”
- “Our support for a background check for all gun sales does not mean we support a government firearm registry of any type. We do not. The gun checks bill proposed in Congress does not and will not create a registry. The law already ensures that only dealers keep a record – and that all federal records for background checks are destroyed within 24 hours.”